I have some treats for you today my friends! Mexican chocolate peanut butter ice cream sandwiches with a date & peanut cookie. Topped off with some melted Mexican chipotle chocolate and some vegan sprinkles! And completely free from refined sugar with just the natural sweetness of maple syrup. I wanted to create something very simple and fun. I'm a big fan of sweets but lately have been cutting out all processed foods and sugars and basically living off raw foods, so I had to make something I could have myself!
The cookie is made from just two ingredients: date paste and lightly salted peanuts. The ice cream is made from coconut milk, maple syrup & Mexican chocolate. If you can’t locate Mexican chocolate, just create your own by mixing some dark chocolate with plant milk, cinnamon & chipotle or cayenne pepper. If the chocolate is too bitter, add some maple syrup to sweeten it up.
And no, you don’t need an ice cream maker to make these delicious sandwiches! Just grab your food processor and blender and all your ingredients and you’re ready to go!
Mexican Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwich
Active Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cans of coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (I used Edward and Sons)
- 1 block of Mexican chocolate (I used Taza, or see above to make your own)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot powder (or potato/corn starch)
- A pinch of salt
- 10 Medjool dates or 10-13oz of date paste
- 2 cups lightly salted peanuts
- Add the cookie ingredients to a food processor and process until it comes together in your fingertips.
- Line a medium sized baking pan with parchment paper and press cookie dough firmly covering the entire area.
- Stick cookies into the freezer until hardened.
- Blend all ice cream ingredients in a blender and transfer to a plastic zip bag. Push the air out and set in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the ice cream and break into pieces and place into a food processor. Process until pieces form the consistency of ice cream.
- Line another baking tray with parchment paper, pour ice cream mixture and freeze overnight.
- Use cookie cutters to shape your sandwich cookies and ice cream mixture. Assemble sandwiches and return to freezer.
- Melt some more chocolate and dip your sandwiches or get creative and finish them with whatever else you like!