Bring home the taste of Turkey with this easy recipe.
1 cup vegan butter or light oil (Note: Vegan butter is usually salty. I prefer Miyoko's because it's unsalted)
1 pack of phyllo dough sheet
Brush and a wooden stick
For the filling
- ½ cup ground walnuts
- ½ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup ground pistachio
- 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
1. Make the sugar syrup: Add all the ingredients for the sugar syrup in a pan and set on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Then, simmer the syrup until it attains one string consistency. Add saffron. Keep it aside.
2. On the side, brush a baking dish (11x10x2“ deep) with butter and keep it ready.
3. Remove the phyllo sheet 2 hours before you want to make the Baklava or keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
1. Melt butter in a bowl.
2. Lay one phyllo sheet on your work counter and cover the rest with a damp towel, so they don’t dry up.
3. Brush the melted butter on the entire sheet. Put a wooden stick 3 inches from the bottom and pour 2 tablespoons of the nut mixture above the stick.
4. Fold the bottom part of the phyllo sheet over the mixture and butter the flipped part.
5. Now, start rolling the sheet to make a tight roll till the full sheet is covered.
6. Squeeze the roll by pushing down and gather the roll to make it 6-inch-long. Lay it on a baking dish, and cover with a damp towel until you’re done with all the rolls.