My sister LOVES all things lemony — except when they’re paired with coconut. She wanted the lemon curd which I made with my coconut cake but not that cake, so I decided to go all out on the citrus and BOOM! I ended up with this cake! I also happened to have some homemade red bean paste with cooked red beans so stuffed them in as well. The combination was a godsend. I adapted the cake recipe from Cupful of Kale and the lemon curd recipe from School Night Vegan. Do check them out for mouthwatering and easy recipes!
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Bake Time: 45-55 min
- Serves: 8-10 small slices
For the Lemon Curd (This makes enough for 2 Cakes)
- 110g caster sugar
- 25g corn starch
- 115g coconut cream
- 115ml fresh lemon juice (~2 1/2 lemons)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 60ml water
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 25 g vegan butter
For the Cake
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80g caster sugar
- 65ml rapeseed/canola oil
- 100ml plant-based milk
- Juice of 1 orange (~65ml)
- Zest of 1 orange (~1 1/2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
To make the Lemon curd
- Combine all the ingredients except the butter in a medium saucepan over a medium/low heat.
- Using a whisk, whisk constantly while the temperature rises to prevent the mixture from curdling. After about 5 minutes, the mixture will start to thicken. Once it starts turning lumpy, whisk vigorously for a few seconds to smoothen it out.
- Once the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, turn off the heat and stir in the vegan butter – mix well until the butter is fully combined and melted.
- Pour the lemon curd into a sterilized glass jar and set aside to cool. After frosting the cake, store leftover curd in the fridge.
To make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line and grease a 9x5" loaf tin.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and mix with a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl mix together the oil, milk, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45-55 minutes. Do the toothpick test. Once it comes out clean, it’s ready. If it's not, leave in for a few more minutes.
- Let cake cool in the pan for about 10 min and transfer out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Top with lemon curd frosting.
- If not serving immediately, refrigerate in an airtight container. It will keep for 3-4 days.